I recently discovered Fathead pastry….OMG where has that been all my life ?!!!! The one thing I was worried about (well not worried but I did think about it) was how was I going to love without pies in some form for ever…because forever seems like a really long time not to have a pie for…and I think a little unreasonable if I’m being completely honest. I know I want to lose weight but I don’t want to have to give up everything gorgeous in life and in my opinion pies (and bacon) are on the list and very near the top.
Then on my wanderings I found Fathead Pastry …Oh be still my beating heart …it. is. the . creation. of. a. genius!!!
So without any further ceremony..if you haven’t tried it write down that recipe and get on to it now!! If you’re going low carb it’s great and if you’re not it’s great. I’m not sure where it comes in the keto, primal categories but it does come in the delicious section!!
Fat Head Sausage Rolls
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
Calories 470 kcal
- 6 / 500g / 1lb / 1lb sausages
- onion flakesto garnish
Fat Head Pastry
- 170g / 6oz / 1 3/4cups pre-shredded/grated mozzarellaor Edam/mild
- 85g / 3oz / 3/4cup almond meal/flour
- 2 tbsp cream cheesefull fat
- 1 egg
- pinch saltto taste
- 1 tsp onion flakes
Pre-cook the sausages
- Cut the sausage skin down the centre using a sharp knife. Peel back and discard.
- Place each sausage on a lined baking tray and cook at 180C/350F for 10 minutes.
Fat Head Pastry
- While the sausages are cooking, prepare the Fat Head pastry.
- Mix the shredded/grated cheese and almond flour/meal in a microwaveable bowl. Add the cream cheese. Microwave on HIGH for 1 minute.
- Stir then microwave on HIGH for another 30 seconds. Remove and stir again. Add the egg, salt, and onion flakes. Mix.
- Place the Fat Head pastry between 2 pieces of baking parchment/paper and roll into a thin, rectangle (see photos here). Remove the top baking paper/parchment.
- Cut the Fat Head pastry along one side and place the sausages along that edge. Begin to roll as shown in the pictures above and cut off the excess pastry.
- Cut into sausage rolls and spray or drizzle oil over the top. Sprinkle with onion flakes (or sesame seeds) to garnish.
- Bake at 220C/425F for 12-15 minutes, or until golden all over.
Fat Head pastry can also be made by replacing the almond meal/flour with 1/4 cup (4 tbsp) coconut flour.
I haven’t tried it with coconut flour yet but I will and put my thoughts here….(well here as in this blog ..not right here).
The nutrition panel is per serving (the entire recipe makes 6 servings). The number of sausage rolls you make, will depend on how big or small you like to cut them.