We had this for dinner tonight….It was nice. It was tonight Chicken, Lemon & Garlic Casserole but the considered opinion was that there should be no Lemon in it (I used preserved Lemons which is maybe where I went wrong but I don’t think the lemon flavour went right). So next time it’s going to be just Chicken and Garlic. Other than that it was good. I used Chicken breasts this time (because it was what I had) next time I will use thighs
because they don’t dry out I dishes like these. I added 500g Orso pasta (looks like big rice)20 minutes before it was due to finish and we had it with beans. The recipe is meant to do 4 but with the pasta added it easily did the 3 of us and I made up 2 takeaway containers so I can take it to work at night.
I actually did ours in the oven (180C) for about 30 minutes not on the stove top but either way would be easy – it just happened I was making other things at the same time.
- 900 g skinless and boneless chicken thighs
- 2 onions
- 2 large carrots
- 200 g green beans
- 4 to 5 sprigs of tarragon
- Low calorie cooking spray
- 1 bulb of garlic
- 700 ml chicken stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cut the chicken into chunks. Peel and chop the onions. Peel the carrots and cut into thick batons. Chop the tarragon.
- Spray a large non-stick casserole dish with low calorie cooking spray. Place over a high heat. Add the chicken pieces and cook until lightly browned on all sides.
- Add the onions, carrots, garlic bulb, stock and Bovril concentrate. Season well and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover tightly with the lid and cook gently for 25 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and discard the garlic bulb. Serve sprinkled with tarragon.
Or grate / peel the garlic and don't remove it.