On my I LOVE this soup….
Spray of oil but mix with a bit of water to “dry fry”.
1 onion, chopped
450g/1lb carrots, washed and sliced
1 clove garlic, crushed
5ml/1 tsp ground coriander (you can add more if you want…I like more
1.2 ltr/2 pints vegetable stock (cube=1)
3 Tbsp chopped fresh coriander
squeeze of lemon juice
freshly grated nutmeg to taste
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat the oil and water in a large pan, add the onions, carrots and garlic, sauté / dry fry for 4mins, until they are beginning to soften but not colour. Stir in the ground coriander and plenty of seasoning and cook for 1min.
2. Add the stock and bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 20mins or until the carrots are really tender. Stir in the fresh coriander.
3. Whizz the soup with a stick blender or transfer to a food processor. Add the lemon juice and nutmeg to taste and adjust the seasoning as necessary. Reheat until just hot but not boiling and serve.
The only thing you can’t do is give it a swirl of cream…unless you want to use some syns (because you could)…
Serves 4 / Prep time: 10 minutes / Cooking time: 45-50 minutes
By my calculations on a Red day or, if you took 113g of chicken and used it as a HEB on green day this would be Syn free.
1 large brown onion, finely sliced
2 baby fennel, finely sliced
56g g green olives, pitted (3)
1 cinnamon stick
1 tablespoon preserved lemon, skin only
250 ml chicken stock (if you use a stock cube 1 syn)
1 teaspoon coriander, ground
2 teaspoons cumin, ground
1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
½ teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon turmeric
2 teaspoons olive oil (4)
452g Skinless chicken thighs trimmed of fat
Preheat the oven to 180°C.
Scatter the onion, fennel, olives, cinnamon stick and preserved lemon in a roasting pan or in a large ovenproof baking dish and pour over the stock.
Mix the spices and oil together and rub into the chicken. Place the chicken in the baking dish, season well with cracked pepper, and roast in the oven for 25-30 minutes, then increase the temperature to 200°C and cook for a further 15-20 minutes or until the chicken is golden and cooked through.
- For a spicier rub, add ½ teaspoon of chilli flakes and ½ teaspoon of chilli powder.
- Mix it up with veggies…I love courgette (Zucchini), Aubergine (Eggplant), Yams are great because they give you some crunch….anything you like really.